I have an unchallenged track record. Children love me. Its simple. They do. I don't have to do a thing, they gravite towards me. I like to call it my special Sophia voodoo potion. Big, small, white, black, they all love me. I don't know if its the fat cheeks (which isn't so cute to me anymore considering I'm way past the fat cheek stage). My knack for making them feel like every word out of their mouth is the most important thing in the world may be earning me points. Or maybe its my willingness to get silly on demand, to coax a smile out of the sickest child. Maybe its God's gift to me to feel like every child in the world feels like family cause they love me so. I don't have any of my own, and will never have the opportunity to bear any (another blog for another time). I do admit I've done one thing right in the world. Therapy with kids is like a day at the park for me. All kinds of seesaw, monkey bar, slides kinda fun, helping kids vent their frustrations. I play (work) with about 60 kids every day and minus my forced interactions with adult staff, work could be heaven.
Here I am going along in child glee, confidently riding to NY last weekend to meet my latest potential love, my nephew Aidan. I got on that bus so excited to not only be spending time with my mini me, my niece Gabriella, but that I had a new little bundle that was just waiting to fall in love with me.
You see where I'm going with this right? That little stinker is trying to break my track record. I met him laying in his mama's arms, being nursed and cooing back at her. So of course I couldn't wait to turn on the charm. That little stinker had other plans.

My little puffalump doesn't like me! The potion didn't work on him, somehow he must have gotten an antidote or something. He screamed bloody murder EVERY single time I picked him up. I mean screamed like he was in a Haitian horror movie, getting ready to be hacked with a machete to pieces by some masked murderer. At one month? really? At one month most kids can't even see good, let alone have some type of fear or dislike for someone. Laid in everyone else's arms like a little angel, but put him in my arms and he acted like a wild banshee that hadn't been fed in 3 days. Gabu even got him to stop crying, tried to console me too, trying to convince me Aidan was just crying cause he wasn't used to me yet. (Poor thing, I think she realy felt bad for her Auntie Nenen) She would take him out of my arms every time he cried, while the little stinker would lay on her shoulder like the perfect little angel. (Of course giving me serious Haitian/Bajan attitude, laying there glaring at me smugly while safely in her arms).
Treated me like the unwanted bald headed stepchild, even in front of company. Tried to reason with him, squeeze him, snuggle him, my little puffalump isn't feeling the Auntie Nephew love.
He's got me worried, but I haven't given up on him. Gonna give him a couple of months. By Christmas he better get that little act together! Next time I come to NY I better get love like my boo boo Gabu gives me always!

Now that's a little lady who knows how to make a sista feel loved...

2 comments:
Ok, you are hilarious.
Aidan having the antidote to your charms.
Haitian horror movie.
Screaming like a banshee that hasn't been fed in 3 days.
This is too much. I literally laughed out loud, for a long time. Probably woke the entire neighborhood.
Anyhoo, in Aidan's defense, maybe you just got him at the wrong times, like when he needed to be nursed.
Well, at least Gabriella loves you a lot.
Love ya,
your sister
Mom to Aidan, who's not sure if he's that in love with Auntie Nenen
And Mom to Gabriella who worships the ground you walk on and the air you breathe.
LOL Booches, "Thank heaven for little girls" as the old saying goes. Whew!
Post a Comment