When you're single as long as I have been lately, then people always want to give you advice. Even when you're not asking for it. As a matter of fact, I think they give me advice most times just because I'm not asking for it. Bunned up people think that ALL singles think and talk about is their perpetual state of singleness. Ok being single doesn't cross my mind every second of the day. Nor do I give every man I encounter the ring check look and then proceed to tabulate their "should I go for it score". First of all I live in DC, and the pickings are slim. Yeah I said it. They are. For us "don't wanna meet the man in the club" ladies, the barrel is kinda empty. I ride metro regularly, but darn it my commute ain't long enough to get past the sexy flirty smile game with a potential hottie. By the time I bat my eyelash good, I hear the chime of my stop next.
But anyway I digress (and I do do that often, so bare with me) other folks are ALWAYS telling me 1- why they think I'm single and 2- what I should do to "hook" a man. I'll deal with #1 first.
I've heard it all. Some of the stuff is pretty typical. I'm too picky, too selective, not approachable, too successful (the vote is still out on that one), too virtuous, blah blah blah. I usually kinda tune them out cause its not worth the effot to argue. They must feel like its their job to
Today I was sitting in my office trying to get some work done, when one of the older women at my job walked in (notice I did not say knocked then walked in) and sat down. Now my usual tactic to get folk out of my office when they do this is to keep typing and not make eye contact while saying hi. I figure if I keep looking at the PC screen then obviously people will realize I'm too busy to really chit chat, they'll ask the question then keep it moving. But she hit me with the "I've been worrying about you" bit, and I knew I was in it for the long haul.
She gave me the usual "Did you meet anyone this weekend" start to the convo. Between the laundry, exercise and laying up on my couch not doing a darn thing, not sure how I could have met the man of my dreams, but I entertained her questions nontheless. Then she said "Well baby (said in that country drawl) you single cause...."
I think I went into day dream mode, cause this convo had a familiar twang I certainly was not in the mood for. But somewhere in the midst of my daydreaming I heard a word that caught my attention: tofu. Brought myself back to reality and said "What? Did you just say tofu?"
"Baby you single cause you eat too much damn tofu!"
Uhhhhhh yeah.....guess I haven't heard it all. Too much tofu? Does tofu emit a smell I don't know about? Something I didn't realize is changing my body chemisty and make me a hands off woman for potential suitors? Nah she said, just too much tofu. "Any man worth a woman's time eats meat" "Ain't no man gonna want you cause you won't cook him meat" "Get off that hippie, white girl foolishness and get you some chicken. Start practicing with some bbq sauce, get you some good Canola oil (cause I know you like that healthy stuff) and fry up some practice pieces" "Men will come calling, I promise you".
Ladies so there you have it. The reason for my singleness. After picking myself up of the floor, wiping my eyes from the tears of laughter, I thanked Ms. Tofu Advice Lady, and came home to share this with the world. All you single non meat eating ladies.....listen up.
Some practice pieces of fried chicken is the answer to all those nights of loneliness.

6 comments:
hahahahahahaha!!!! CLEARLY we're having the same issue. All those veggie burgers are killin' my game. Nice way to let the degenerates in this city off the hook. They're all gay, lame or taken and that's the truth girl.
Preach the good word!
LMAO! I loved this blog :) I have to tell you I am cosigning so hard on your idea that there are slim pickings in the MD/DC/V! My friends talk about this all the time! I just wrote a blog about something similar to this and about men complaining that I'm "intimidating". But tofu definitely takes the cake!
Hi, nice to meet you.
I fear we may be in competition for men! Here's my best offer - I won't go after the ones younger than 40, don't you go after the ones older than 40! Deal?
Oh, and FYI - tofu - yuck, phooey! And I came of age in the hippy/earth mother/peace-love ear.
LOL everyone. I think we're all in consensus that the options here on the good old Mason Dixon Line need to be upgraded, quick!
-Lilsass, those veggie burgers will be your demise, lol
-tha management, we need to start an "upgrade the men" support group
-my other blog, tofu is the best! and what? I gotta limit myself to the 40 & under crowd, don't know if I can do that, lol
i am thinking of picking up some tofu -- maybe my phone will stop ringing. not with any offers for nights out or fun, mind you, but with all kinds of "emergencies" that need deal with pronto. maybe I should just dangle the tofu around my neck. like garlic. it could work.
Post a Comment