Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sunday Workout


Don't know whether I've blogged about this before, but what the heck, its my blog, I could blog about the same topic everyday if I want to.

I absolutely love my Sunday Workouts. Back last year when I was in the height of my working out (and I had gotten down to a nice, ooooh la la kinda size) my Sunday workouts were the best, most funnest (a Sophia word) workouts of my week. During the week I would alternate between power walking/running and aerobics. Saturdays were always my long walk days, a chance to really test my endurance. I have explored roads around my community on 2 hour walks on the regular. But Sundays, glorious Sundays.....

It was always hard for me to do any kind of regimented workouts on Sundays. A day of rest indeed, but I knew I had to keep my body moving somehow. Those of you that know me know one thing. I LOVE TO DANCE. Not any kind of formal dance, never had the money growing up for classes or anything. But I can imitate like the best of them. It all started with a Janet Jackson jump off the back of a chair video (yeah yeah yeah, that didn't end well for me, but it still sparked an interest). Stop laughing.

Who else knows all the important dances....Hold On (Don't waste your time, fighting blind.....) Beat it (have incorporated a few of those moves into my kids at work dance performance for Thanksgiving) and my latest favorite video dancer, Beyonce. (Working on the Single Ladies dance moves this week.....and no I don't have a leotard yet). Again, stop laughing.

So Sunday became my dancing video chick workout day. I put on all different types of music and cut a groove. And you know what? I think I sweat and get the most effective workout on this day. My stomach arms, legs, whatever are generally the sorest after this.

Amazing how that's the one day of the week I can stand in front of the mirror and NOT see any flaws. I see Buffy (imaginary booty) Ciara (imaginary abs of steel) MJ (imaginary glove) Jadine (Lamman Rucker cheating on me) Rihanna (imaginary, no real Umbrella in hand)......you get the point right? I dance like no one's watching. For real though, that's the name of my Ipod playlist for Sundays. Throw in some crunches, planks, weights, while doing the butterfly, wop, Willie bounce, and I think I'm on my way back to my ooh la la size. (I haven't gotten too out of shape, its more of an "Oh, OK" shape right now).

So I'll share with you all today. Didn't get to all of my playlist, fell in a heap on the floor after Wyclef gyrated me into a tizzy. And its not the same songs I play each week, depends on my mood. And I in a holy praise dance mood? Or a club sweat til you drop while avoiding the "please excuse my hands" kinda man? This is what got me burning a zillion calories today.

Warm Up:
*Cupid Shuffle- Cupid
*Mr. C's Cha Cha Slide- Mr. C
*I Dare You- Destra

Cardio/Dance:
*Lord of the Harvest- Fred Hammond
*Don't Stop the Music- Rihanna
*Deja Vu- Beyonce
*Get Up- Mary Mary
*Stronger- Kanye West
*Don't Stop Til you Get Enough- Michael Jackson
*Do the Iwer, Butterfly...- Byron Lee & the Dragoinaires

Weights/Strength/Crunches/Pushups:
*Sandcastle Diso- Solange
*So Amazing- Tye Tribbett
*Pump Me Up- Edwin Yearwood
*Bicentennial- Wyclef

Cool Down/Stretch:
*Live your Life- T.I
*Never Would Have Made it- Marvin Sapp

So set your Ipod and meet me next week at about 11am in cyberspace. I promise you your day will be a lot less stress free and who knows....if a few weeks time your Ooh la la might be appearing in the mirror!

1 comment:

Ms. Blackman said...

What you know about Destra? I need to give you some more soca songs to add to your mix.