Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Stuck in Love

I've had the same 2 cd's on repeat for the past couple of days. I'm one of those people who get in the mood to hear a type of voice, or music, and that's all I'll listen to until I can spit it verbatim from track to track. I'm also one of those people who take a stab and try a little known artist way before other folks. I'm a music head. I listen to music constantly. There's nothing like a good voice, and good music backing it up.

Now there are few people who hit the "holy grail" like my two favorite artists of ALL time. For those of you who don't know Donnie McClurkin and Eva Cassidy are it for me. And those two are as different as night and day. Donnie McClurkin has the voice of an angel, and can take the heathenest (is that a word?) of heathens and make them holy just by listening to him sing one of his songs. And Eva? man there's no one like her. She was taken from us way too soon, but fans love her so much that CD after CD of her just keeps coming out. And I'll listen to every recording of her, her voice just haunts me. If you've never heard of Eva then Songbird or Live at Blues Alley are your CD's to start with and get your feet wet with her awesomeness.

So yeah, now two new young ladies are working with my spirit these days. I've had their CD's for a long while now and try as I might to hip other folks to it, they're sleeping. Of course a few months from now something will catch their attention and then they'll be running to me. Chrisette Michele & Emily King. Their CD's have been out for a while now, but you know how it is. Only true music heads can appreciate their pure liquid gold voices. Since I'm the kinda lady who kills music when I listen to it, they'll be my drug of choice yet again for a long while, then I'll have to retire them and listen to a few other goodies (Anthony Hamilton, Ledisi, Eric Roberson, etc) and then come back again.

Why can't folks really appreciate good music? I try every now and then to remain hip to what the "youngsters" and mainstream folks are listening to. Turn on my radio and give it a whirl. Ok a few hours later my head hurts and I'm wondering how a police siren, someone with problems keeping their hands to themselves, talking about the size of someone's backside, etc can possibly be music?! Now don't get me wrong, when I'm in the mood to dance, Rihanna can tell me not to stop the music, but when I'm in the incense burning, good book reading, stand in front of the mirror with a hairbrush for my mic kind of mood, I need to feel something much deeper.

So if you're reading this and you call yourself a lover of music and you don't know any of the names I mentioned above, you're hot homework, and lots of it to do. I could ramble on forever about them (and a few select others) but it'll hit you more when you turn the music up and let them tell you what life is.

No comments: