So I'm a bit perplexed about something...seems like every time someone announces a divorce, my twitter feed explodes. Blog posts double and the gossip sites just can't get enough. I get it, marriage is hard. People change, adultery happens, scams are revealed...so many reasons for people to break up, but why is it that it seems that folks are excited when another marriage heads for divorce.
I've never been married. According to the stats I've read, in our culture, single is becoming the rule and not the exception. No I'm not one of the cynics, quite the opposite actually. I'm still holding out "realistic" hope that I'll get my walk down the aisle and my chance to put all that effort into making a marriage work. I've always been the hopeless romantic and I'm ok with that. I've also been unusually wise to the fact that the wedding is just .05% of the marriage, the real work begins once the gifts have been opened and you get to fight about where to put all the stuff.
What I don't like is that usually that's where the commentary ends. I'm one of those who love to send a FB shootout to those married couples who update us on their anniversaries....actually I'll shout that out more than random birthday announcements. I've observed enough to know that marriage is work. And two imperfect people coming together to create a life that flows relatively smoothly, often with little people to raise in the mix, is a feat that's NOT easy.
I don't get that no one talks about that though. But the minute (and I do mean the exact minute) that someone announces a divorce all of a sudden the masses get interested. Its like we've created a "misery loves company" fan club that was just waiting for another team of people to talk about. It bothers me. i don't know why but it just does. To me its like remaining silent when someone is doing well but then when we find out they're sick and dying of some horrible disease, all of a sudden folks wanna give their opinion on why they're sick & dying. Sounds crazy doest it? But wait....I guess folks do that too smh
I get it. Celebrity culture is a business that thrives on discussion, nosiness and debate. So we talk about the celebrities when they're doing something badly cause well we're already hating that they're more popular, rich and entitled to more than we do. Honestly, truth be told you could't PAY ME to be a celebrity. The mere thought of me being followed, photographed, and harassed every time I step out of my home is enough to make me a hermit for life. Celebrities pay the price for their famousness (lol) and the business of entertainment means even their darkest moments are up for discussion.
I just think there are certain things that shouldn't be up for ridicule and celebration....and divorce is one of them. Are we really giving our opinion on why someone's marriage ended, or are we secretly rejoicing in watching someone lose something we don't have?

1 comment:
You said a mouthful. Yeah, people really talk about divorce and say stuff like, "I know he wasn't no good for her anyway or I told you she was a tramp." More often than not, folks want marriages to break up because if the hater is unhappy, then they don't want nobody happy. Sometimes they may be the very one lurking so they can get the other person for themselves. I am married and yes it is work but you are only gonna get out of it what you put into it and your knight in shining armour will stumble upon you one day. Wait on the Lord and he will renew your strength.
Post a Comment