Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Monday, December 26, 2011

Google is Doing Too Much

Ok so I totally freaked myself out tonight. I posted something on Twitter about Tumblr and within a few minutes one of my friends replied to me about my tweet on my tumblr post. Except he's not following me on Tumblr. As a matter of fact he doesn't even have a tumblr. He just took a moment to google my blog name, or twitter screen name and found all the information he needed.

Well thank God for him. He scared me enough to realize that using a non common user name and Blog name puts my entire business out there. Yeah my FB and Twitter accounts are private but NOTHING else was. That's horrid. There are far too many people I'd rather NOT know any of my business than there are people who do.

I know that being a social media addict can be dangerous. Especially in my field. Add to that some really drama filled people I've crossed paths with and its nothing short of a miracle that I've not encountered more danger up until tonight. You don't want to know, trust me, just know that there are some MEAN and CRAZY people in this world. I like social media for its cathartic way of letting me vent uninterrupted. In my field I don't often get to do that. I learned quickly that there are folks who's only intent in "following" or "friending" me on some of those sites are to judge or be nosy. I don't really like that all too much. You don't believe me? I've got two people who have requested me time and time again on Twitter. Both of them have actually asked me in person (after sitting in my request box for weeks) why I hadn't yet accepted them. One person's only tweet, and I do mean ONLY TWEET is to ask me why I haven't accepted them yet. Call me weird but I start thinking conspiracy theories when you have a twitter account with NO tweets. Exactly what is the point? I usually let about 20 or so folks sit in my request box until I have a chance to figure out who they are and why they want to follow me. I'd love to be free enough to have a public page but unfortunately I can't. I envy those who can.

So be that as it may I spent the better portion of the past two hours tweaking everything. I do have one social media account thas still public but I've changed its name so hopefully I won't encounter too much drama. The first sign of foolishness and it gets privatized too. I went back and forth on this website though. Its a bit different than my twitter, tumblr and other pages, I'm less reckless on here and would rather a wider viewer audience. Then again I've found myself censoring myself several times just cause of some of the people I know I'd talk about and they'd read it then I'd be up shits creek.

So I made the decision.

No more public page.

Part of me is hell annoyed, there was a point to this public blog. A really IMPORTANT point. On the other hand....Ehhhh don't know that I'm THAT upset about it. My blog doesn't have a high readership anyway.

Yeah then why do I do this again??

No comments: