Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

My Pain, Your Entertainment

I realize something. I'm most funny when I'm not trying to be.

Watching JayZ on Master Class and something he said in passing caught my attention. A simple statement, "My pain, your entertainment" is a pretty profound statement. Its one of those statements "that'll preach" (For my church going brethren).....cause it provides the backdrop for so many things in life.

I'm always in awe of the strength of celebrities to live the life that they live. Maybe its the therapist in me, but I'm not necessarily blinded by the fame and the money they get, cause the thing that glares the most to me is the price they pay for the money they receive. You couldn't PAY me to be a celebrity but then again that's not my calling. People in the biz deal with A LOT. Seriously a whole lot. That "never let them see you sweat" mentality would be my downfall though. I couldn't imagine having a passion, a calling to do something that comes so naturally but then that very thing puts you on a pedastal that is hard to sit on comfortably. I don't really judge when celebs make mistakes, cause I would probably do the same stuff they did as they go through the process. Difference is no one has to know my #hit unless I chose to tell them. Not so easy if your calling is being the business and brand of someone like JayZ.

I'm not in the spotlight on a regular. Every person however has those moments in life when you are, and what you do during that time is key to what people will think about you forever. Apparently all my "public stuff" is blended with the fact that my feet don't always stay planted firmly on the ground. (Take that literally or figuratively, with me it works either way.) My stuff seems to be tempered by the fact that I'm a humorous kinda chick who doesn't even realize that folks are gonna be laughing until, well....they're laughing. Hard.

Come to realize it, its that very humor that has allowed the people in my life to be with me during the toughest or the most mundane times of my life. Either way Imma go though it. I'd rather it be with a smile then with a frown.

Case in point: I posted the "my pain, your entertainment" statement on my FB status. In a deep kinda wonder-who-else-is-watching, I just knew it would spark some deep comments. I was on my Badu flow....they sleep we grind. Instead the first comment I get back is "makes me think of lmao at you sliding across the floor on M&M's...". After a good rib shattering laugh I realized, that's exactly what I get.

I'm clumsy, nerdy, sometimes naive, too trusting yet increasing not trusting enough of people & their motives, slightly off kilter,& occasional brutally sarcastic. I'm also a double cancer survivor. You'd be amazed at the amount of funnies that have been produced by that exact blend. One day when you have copious amounts of time to read long past blogs....or sit and chat with me a spell, you'll hear the stories. Some of my most painful, most embarrassing moments are told in a way that, not even trying, leave people doubled over in laughter. Things that should have people feeling distressed and totally depressed at the horror that was my twenties, instead have them smiling saying "tell them about that time you tried to get that tupp-a-ware that fell behind the fridge".

You know what? I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: