Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Where's my Walking Stick?

So here I am again embarking on another healthy fitness/weight loss whatever you wanna call it road. Just don't call it a diet, that's not cool these days so I hear.

Its January so I'm probably one of zillions who have decided to get fit (again). For me its a 2nd time road, lost loads of weight a few years ago but didn't quite make the transition to learning how to maintain that loss. Add to that new meds which (surprise surprise) have as their first side effect "weight gain" equals a combo of unhealthy living. So here we are again, this time I'm a lot more educated, and way more patient. I've got the pics and the skinny clothes waiting in the closet so no rush here.

It has be said though. I'm probably one of the FEW people who is determined to build slowly. I never quite understood the phenomenon of lazy one day, workout guru the next. That kinda stuff doesn't work for me (and bold enough to say, it won't work for you either!!). If there's one thing I've learned, the get it now mentality is what gets so many people discouraged after a few weeks of healthy living. The process is to do it slowly and carefully, not starve yourself for two weeks, lost 10lbs of water weight and then wonder two months down the line how you've gained it back and then some. No one's body is created to endure shock, so if your only walk regularly is to the fridge 3 feet away, trying a 3 mile run as your first workout routine is not the best way to motivate yourself to stick with it.

Me, I'm building slowly. Walks on the treadmill, Pilates to strengthen and shape my core. Zuumba for those I don't wanna workout but I wanna dance days. Enjoying every time I can successfully add 5 minutes to my exercise time. Its the process I'm enjoying not the goal I'm rushing to. Makes it more real, more feasible to me.

I'm not drinking gallons of cayenne pepper, nor am I turning orange gulping down bushels of grapefruit only. I'm not low carbing, the carbs are what's getting me through that Zumba dvd. I'm cooking healthy and keeping an eye on my portion sizes. I'm once again becoming that bourgousie young lady who turned her nose up at "regular" grocery store produce. Taking a hit on the wallet, but its a hit I'm willing to take.

I wanna still be here in March, talking 'bout working out. I wanna still be here in November, talking about eating right. I don't wanna be here in December, restarting because I took on unrealistic goals too fast and getting discouraged when I'm starving and nursing an overexercise injury.

So all my folks who haven't worked out in forever (or ever) signing up for 10K marathons tomorrow, eating only an apple a day, doing the cottage cheese only diet, or grabbing the PX90 as your first workout tape.....don't call me. I'm not working out with you!! I might be there with you (or without, but whatever) one day in the future, but for now, someone pass me the "Walk away the Pounds"!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! Folks go from nothing to the EVERYTHING overnight, and within weeks (or days), they crash and burn. The committed, yet slow and steady approach work. All the best to you! Oh, and I love Leslie on the WATP videos.