Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Selfish with Me & For Me

As I sit typing I'm loving my Sunday morning routine. The absolute bliss of a quiet Sunday morning listening to my favorite tunes is one that I have come to crave....a moment of sanity (and singing at the top of my lungs) that ushers me into another work week. My neighbors may not like it but no one's ever called the cops yet so maybe their enjoying the free musical concert. (Minus my vocal submissions, I'm sure). Its rare these days that I deviate from this routine. Not even for church, I do love church, but honestly I love this time at home with no one even more.

I'm realizing this time is appearing at other times too. Like a late friday night....or a middle of the week Wednesday morning. When the weather is warm I don't mind this time being passed while I walk through DC/MD neighborhoods, taking in the sun and trees. In the winter though I avoid outside like the plague. (I'm telling you delicate Princesses crack in cold weather).

As I get older I'm realizing I love my me time even more than I love running around. Gone are the days I want to spend more time with folks out and about than at home in my pj's. Don't get me wrong I love my WTE parties, movie goings, travel weekends and of course concerts. Am I becoming a hermit? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe its more that I'm coming to appreciate the solitude of living, when necessary it re-focuses and rejuvenates me. Meeting someone for Sunday brunch is fun but cooking my own while L Boogies "The Re-Education of Lauren Hill" plays in the background is a beauty to behold. (BTW I have not a clue where I downloaded this unreleased set of music but OMG, if you're a fan get thee to a google search box at once!)

I know folks who crave the company of people but I shy away from folks who cannot EVER be by themselves. What is that about really? If you can't stand to be around you, you're saying more about your true self then you'll ever realize. Or folks who demand my time when I'm not trying to give it. That's the quickest way to lose a friend....even when I wasn't angry with you to begin with. (Some folks don't get hints easily and continue to try to force it). If you're one of those people I dare you to spend a day, hell even a weekend alone. Makes you face demons, and angels in your own midst.

Time is precious folks. I know its an old cliche but its the truth and nothing but the truth. I try my best these days to spend it doing things I love. Whether that's a good WTE party, duking it out on Rock band with the girls, waving my towel as I jam at a concert, having good convo with a cutie at a bookstore, riding the waves on a cruise or home alone letting Anthony Hamilton remind me true love is possible, imma do it.

Maybe this alone time is coming to an end soon (getting deja vu) and if it is I'll welcome the next phase in life with open arms. In the meantime excuse me as I take a long luxurious bath (while the ipod charges), lotion with my fav B&BW scent mixed with coconut oil, light some candles (Marshalls candle section is the best kept secret), slip into a worn tee-shirt & Hanes women's boxer briefs, slip some sock boots on my feet, pin my locs up and sing.....loud and alone.

2 comments:

QueenBee said...

And there ain't a dog gone thang wrong with that. Embrace the moment.

Nish said...

Aint nothing like loving yourself and your "you" time.