I've been battling with the 'new school year' syndrome all week. For those of you that work in the school system, you know what I'm talking about right. You wanna always be one of those people who step into the newness of a school year hoping that everything (or at least most things) are gonna go right this year. The clean classrooms, shiny hallways, new bulletin boards, and textbooks make you think this will be the year it all goes well. And no I'm not talking about the kids. The kids I can work with. After all they are there to learn so mistakes made by them are understandable.
I just wish the staff would step in line. We've had a good week thus far, folks are being friendly to the new teacher, most folks have been helping each other out setting up classrooms, I literally almost felt a tear well up in my heart at the comraderie of a group of folks that helped me clean the library this afternoon. But every time I try to clear my heart of all the foolishness that was last years school year, the memories keep flooding back.
We've been through it all.....
-asking if its ok to tap into the students food cause you forget to eat before you get to work and need an emergency backup
-thinking its ok to shelter the students under a tree in the middle of a hurricane/tornado like storm (and talk about it in front of people like you did something good)
-thinking that its ok to try to force your TA to sneak out of the school and head to McDonalds for you since you're hungry.
-thinking its ok to come ask me to leave what I'm doing in my office to go open the school store for you at 10am cause you want a sausage to eat.
-staff complaining about not being able to wear headwraps, when NO ONE HAS EVER WORN A HEADWRAP BEFORE.
-forgetting you're on duty cause the students had left over lunch that you sit down to eat so it doesn't get cold.
-making a student stand up and stare out the window every time a particular staff person walks in the room cause "he won't stop staring at her"
-walking up to a student and saying "What are you gonna do about your hair? it looks a mess!"
-digging through donations left for students before they have a chance to look at it saying "they won't appreciate this stuff no way"
I'm gonna try to forget all these things and stay positive. But each time I do the vision of a group of students forced UNDER A DARN TREE in the midst of thunder lightening and everything else, so that the teacher can avoid the hail from "busting her upside the head" (her words not mine) comes back and I think, ah heck another year!

No comments:
Post a Comment