Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Chilling is cool too.....

Ok so a mini rant of sorts. What IS IT with those certain folks in my life who feel they have to keep up a social calendar that's wayyyyy younger than their years?! And proceed to want to tell me about it ALL the time....

Side bar: this isn't to those folks who's life's work or life's mantra is to work hard and party harder. I commend you. If you can truly and honestly keep that up and still be a productive member of society I say more power to you. Just know my social work salary and stress level doesn't allow me the same privileges all the time.

This instead is for those folk who you know are either:1- keeping up a college party lifestyle cause they think its cool to ramble on about how late they stayed out (but really wanted to be home in bed sleeping) or 2- don't actually keep up a college party lifestyle but they lie all the time cause they think that's cool.

I literally fell asleep on someone rambling on about that today. Ummm lets see, we're 30+ and no that does not make us old, but it should make us mature, right? So if we're working our wonderful career jobs and keeping up with life's responsibilities, we have a right to lay around on a weekend day and sleep 8 hours right? As a matter of fact if we're giving our all shouldn't we want to have some times when we get that unwind moment of bliss? Maybe its just me, but the party may be for me, but as for the after party and the after after party.....yeah well that's about the time I should be in good REM sleep. Coming to work with vodka odors emanating from my pores, dodging bill collectors but taking advantage of every ski trip coming and going, or eating out every night, but taking the leftovers home to your Mama's house isn't my idea of a hip 30's.

I have no problems planning, yes PLANNING a day of relaxation. One of those wake up when I wake up, shower, put pj's back on, breakfast in bed, mindless tv/good book ALL day long. And it rejuvenates me.....enough to last the next week at work. And affords me the time and budget to do enough fun stuff on a regular basis that the routine of life doesn't get boring. Life has a plan, and a requirement that you leave childish things behind.....

I have some friends (or acquantainces cause you know how FB/Twitter makes folks think everyone's a "friend") who spend all their time posting status updates about parties and road trips and the like. They also wanna send party flyers in Fb inboxes like any of us should still be partying with folks who have to have an under 21 stamp on their hand just to get in....ummmm who's wallet and serum of youth juice have you claimed as your own? The best (read: worst) are the ones that laugh about the fights they get in with strangers at said functions. Please know that if you share that with me I'm obliged to write/say 'you are stupid & must be destroyed'. Please don't be offended, or maybe you will be but its my duty, and you have been warned.

Really, I'd like to think that the circle of folks I find myself attached to have a healthy balance between responsibility AND fun. Too much of either side makes life quite dull or pathetic.

And besides, I clearly remember the "old heads" at the parties I used to attend on the regular....and I clearly remember the jokes we used to crack about them......

No comments: