Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Friday, August 6, 2010

No Excuses....the Lay on the Floor Music

Ok, so harder than the last few weeks of my life where it seems my body wants to shut itself down willingly (trust me I don't even feel like rehashing all this currently).... is the question that was posted to me last night. Randomly by a Twitter pal, she thought she'd post one of the hardest questions I've ever had to answer....

TOP 10 FAVORITE CD'S EVER?

See now to some of you non music folk, you'd probably pick the last 10 CD's you listened to. For me and all who know me, limiting me to only 10 CD's is....well...torture. (And somehow I feel like I may have answered this before). For true music love you can never answer a complete answer to this one. Music love changes with the times, what "hits the spot" in one moment is carelessly forgotten for other loves in another. It not that I'm wishy washy its that for music, its a life form that speaks to me. What gives me good advice today, sometimes won't speak to me again for a good six months......it all depends on the mood.

My rules were I pick 10 timeless classics, that I can listen to all the way through without skipping a song. 10 gems that if exported to some remote island I'd die without EVER hearing again so would need to snatch and bring with me. (Nevermind that if I were on a remote island I probably wouldn't have electricity and then how on earth would I be able to keep my ipod charged?)

No excues, I can't sneak in any extra CD's or list any compilations (excluding Soundtracks)....shoot. I can't pick an artist I love without loving every single one of the CD's on the album (Sorry Chrisette, & Adele, each of you have one oe or two I may skip from time to time, but rest assured I love you! Oh the horror!

I don't know why this is so hard, but I really REALLY gave it some thought. What 10 CD's could I listen to for the rest of my life? Hmmm, here's hoping my ipod won't delete everything in protest of my choices.

What I came up with is my "lay on the floor" music. Anytime you wanna find me listening, no I mean really LISTENING to music you can find me laughing flat on the floor directly in front of whatever music source is playing. I don't know what or why I do this, but I'm telling you, no chair, bed or anything else beats me laying on my back just vibing....

.....here we go.

1- Live at Blues Alley, Eva Cassidy
Easily one of the most underrated, undiscovered artists ever. This CD is hauntingly beautiful and has gotten me through some TOUGH times. Matter of fact gets me though the GOOD times too. The fact that its live music, well.....just intensifies the love.

2- What's the 411?, Mary J Blige
Mary J's original, raw, cd is just my fav of MJB. She may not be the best singer out, but her soul just screams. This one reminds me of a time period in my life where fun was the rule.

3- Brian McKnight, Brian McKnight
On the recommendation of a good friend, I tapped into this one way back when. Years later, his voice still gives me chills. Now this is what love, heartache and worship is all about.

4- Zhane, Zhane
I'm sensing a trend in the time period, are you? I can laugh, sing, dance, and sleep to this CD, no lie. It fits EVERY mood.

5- Kind of Blue, Miles Davis
I just CAN'T function without this one. I just can't. Its intoxicating its sexy its soothing..... Sometimes you just don't need words....

6- Thriller, Michael Jackson
I wouldn't be a music lover if I didn't have an MJ cd on this list. His musical genius definitely spans past just this one CD, but if I have to pick one of the collection, this one is it. The Thriller album is a phenomenon....and yes I think "The Girl is Mine" is one of the sexiest love songs ever.

7- Mireille Mathieu-Made in France
I remember sitting for HOURS listening to some old Vinyl of MM my Mom had stored. I still haven't found the collection of exact songs on that old album but this one comes the closest.....

8- Live in London, Donnie McClurkin
Worship at its finest, and no you don't have to be a gospel music lover to love this one. Donnie DEFINES worship music.

9- Love Jones, Soundtrack
I took a 10 year self imposed hiatus from this movie, but the soundtrack is easily one of the best soundtracks I've EVER heard (Sorry Sound of Music Soundtrack, you were definitely a close second)

10- The Point of it All, Anthony Hamilton
I'm wondering if I even need to explain this one. Nevermind its the only CD I've listed that has come out in the past 10 years....let just say if you want your "contemporary" classic. This is it.


OK I think I need a nap now....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT LIST!!! I am motivated to come up with my own and will share it with you.

lauramdenniser said...

GASSSSSSSSSSSSSPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO PRINCE??????? YOURE SUCH A SELL OUT ;-)