Hmph, as I sit here on the comfort of my living room floor, I'm caught between crying from the pains in my hip and back and laughing hysterically at my foolishness....
Thankfully my Ipod playlist knows better. Shuffling two Anthony Hamilton songs into play back to back is calming me down enough to tap away on this keyboard and share my latest foolishness.
Don't know if I said it earlier this week in my last post, but iTunes thought it fit to turn what should have been a simple iPod touch os update into an all night struggle to restore the 3,000+ songs I have in my possession. I managed to get about 2500 back but the rest is on the zillions of cd's I used to purchase before I became hopelessly addicted to iTunes. I've even ditched CD Depot (those of you who are true music lovers in the DMV know exactly what I'm talking about). And yes, before I had an external hard drive I would go through the painstaking process of uploading a cd, drag it onto the iPod then delete if from my hard drive. So now I had to re-upload about 50 or so CD's to my iTunes library.
Of course most of the music I've really been in the mood for this week (Hello Anita Baker, Soul II Soul, Brian McKnight, and Lizz Wright) are on those CD's. And as I lay in my bed last Sunday, I realized where those CD's were....behind an Ikea bookshelf in my living room.
I would take a moment to cut and paste a pic of said bookshelf, (but I'm too lazy) so I'll describe it. Its a monstrosity of a thing, stands 5 feet tall, 5 foot wide, 16 cubbies, heavy wood. Its gorgeous in my living room but when I say its heavy I do mean HEAVY. Its strategically placed cat a corner (lol that's hilarious to type AND say) with loads of DVD's, albums, photo frames, candles and other knicknacks on it. The thing is here to stay. Nevermind it wasn't actually the one I had seen on the Ikea showroom floor. Yup didn't realize the behind the sofa shelf was the same price as this dare to move me bookshelf. Glad I liked it when I put it together.....
All week long I've been avoiding the inevitable. Its either rely on the 2K songs I had on my ipod and wait until a big strapping man was in my apt (Which could be a post on another day...lol) Reminds me I need to become better friends (or bed fellows, but again I digress) with bigger men. Men who like to come and move and build things. There's still time for you to apply? Hmmmm who am I talking to?
Get back to the subject Sophie! Where was I.....Armed with good music playing, me singing, and good brunch in my belly I stated (outloud to myself so that I could really prepare myself mentally) that this was to be the Sunday that this bookshelf and me would work together to bring my music back to me.
I prepared well, you do know by now accidents are my friend right? Sneakers on (don't need any broken toes), candle moved to the other shelf (no setting my breasts or lightly colored carpet aflame), photo frames moved (jagged shards of glass in my thigh not welcome). After that I drew the line....how heavy can DVD's be?
Very heavy. And wall to wall carpetting does nothing for sliding action I'll say that too. One thing I have learned though, my thighs are like whoa! (Ha! Always wanted to say that!) I pushed and pulled for 20 minutes but my woefully out of shape arms did nothing, but my legs? Phooey on all those who laugh at my skinny lower body, one nudge and I was in action. I had to stop and laugh (and rest) and triumph at the wonderfulness of my strength and handiness....the bookshelf was FINALLY moving.
I wondered which CD's I would upload first, whether to just leave the bookshelf out of place for the week and make cd uploading my every day after work homework. I daydreamed lovingly about the gems of CD's I had probably even forgotten I had....as I inched the bookshelf further and further out.
I had to make SURE that I inched the shelf out far enough to get behind it AND BACK OUT! (Pause for a moment for those who remember my refrigerator horror of yesteryear. And pausing for you all to stop laughing like wild hyenas and get your shit together before I move on! Yeah I mean you. I'll wait.)
Anyway finally there was enough wiggle safe wiggle room. I dashed back there moved all the Christmas boxes to the side and.............................. saw bare carpet in the corner. WHERE THE HELL ARE MY CD'S??!!
Oh yeah....the mind and the memory is a perplexing thing. It chooses when and where to enlighten you. Years of memories and knowledge are hidden in in vast space all moving and snapse-ing when we need them and sometimes when we don't. Well friends, this particular memory came to me JUST as I was standing there looking at the bare carpet........
The CD's are right under my bed.
I let out a string of words that shamefully revealed to the neighbors forced to hear it that I am not the docile lady I've portrayed myself as the past few weeks since moving in here. I said some things that shocked even me.
Yeah and the damn bookshelf felt even heavier moving it back into place.

2 comments:
Thighs like whoa, ha! Priceless! Will the CD's go back under your bed, or can I expect another bookcase tale...?
Bwaahaahahahahahaha! One of these days I think I'm going to end up in the emergency room for lack of oxygen reading your stuff.
I can always count on you for a laugh. I also love that you helped me remininsce about the "Fridge Incident" lol.
I'm not going to take offense that you called me out "laughing like wild hyenas"
And I'd like to know what big men you're talking about. Now that's a blog post I'd like to read ;)
Anyhoo, thanks for sharing. I'm off to read this post again just cause it tickles me so.
Post a Comment