Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Can You See My Face??

Ok so I have a question. When performers are up on stage doing their thing....can they see the expressions on the faces of their audience members?

I just came from the Summer Spirit Fest in the DMV and well, I have mixed emotions about it. Being a lover of music I always get ultra hyped about a chance to hear some of my faves live. It also gives me a chance to be inspired by some folks I don't normally obsess over. What better way to gain a new love by hearing them in person. There's just something about that live up and close (or in my case, live, and from the lawn on jumbotron and mega speakers that worked 85% of the time, more about that later).

What I'm thinking is maybe entertainers don't take heed (and then ultimately adjust to) the looks on folks faces. Let me use examples....

The show started off with Janelle Monae. I really wanna love her, I do. But ummmmm save for my love of old skool house music (NYers unite!) I can't seem to get down with her electronica/neosoul/pop blend. OK maybe the lack of love has to do with her choice to wear the #samedamnthing each and everytime she performs.....that drives me insane. Are you a robot chick? She can't possibly make adjustments to my facial expressions though cause she spends most of her time ticking twerking & jerking around the stage so much my eyes get wobbly. She certainly couldn't focus enough to see the audience watching her with that "Eh" look.

Certainly if B.o.B didn't see the irritation, he should have felt it. Coming on the stage in the DMV shouting "HOW YOU FEELIN' BOSTON!!!!!" put him at a disadvantage before he really got into it. I can't say much....don't know him well. I took a potty break.

My boo Common, Chuck Brown & the Roots certainly must be paying attention. As expected they gave the audience exactly what we wanted. A SHOW!! If I can smile (& dance internally, it was hot out there) through your show & you keep it up, then you've earned that paycheck. I can't say more about those 3, they were in tune with the audience, my boo even brought some chick (again, I was too damn far back in the lawn seats or idda hopped my butt up on that stage too) onto the stage and allowed her (yep I said it) to wipe sweat offa him. Made me realize next time he performs I need to spring for those front row seats.

Now my question probably most applies to my girl EBadu. I consider myself a huge EBadu fan. I can sing most of her stuff (minus that ultra political album, sorry she lost me there---I do own it though). Her music comes into rotation quite a bit, any person who makes an appearance on all 6 of my coveted Ipod play lists is a rare commodity and one of my favs. Last year she gave me a show. This year I sat slumped in my seat which a WTF? look on my (& prob 90% of the audience face(s) for most of her (too damn short) set.

I can dig that she's different & doesn't do what most expect her too. I was fist pumping that ultra high blond faux-hawk. We are after all, 20 feet tall. But ummmm for the next few minutes certainly. CERTAINLY she had her eyes closed....I didn't know WHAT was going on. Yeah she threw in a classic or two. Imma still love her just cause she brought my boo back out to sing Love of My Life with her. But why didn't she take the time to notice that save for the few stans dispersed throughout the audience, most were waiting for the next lifetime to really jam.#wedidn'tgetitorwerepleased Make eye contact lady, then adjust accordingly.

Maybe I'm tired or still coming off sickness & that's why I wanted comfort music.....I just can't get deep with you on my first time out Erykah. I wanted you to belt out the classics that make me raise a fist and sing along to memories of happier times.....yeah I love her too much to think its any other reason. It was me, not Erykah. It was me.

Lmao, I've GOT to get off these meds.....

No comments: