Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

I Hate to Have to Do This But...

So here's the deal. I'm a music head. You know this. A big one. You know this too. Actually that'll read both ways, cause I AM a music lover AND I do indeed have a big head. It is what it is (Five Heads Unite!)

Anywhoooo....I'm really contemplating a nasty email rant to the Itunes god's.

My damn external hard drive has stopped working.

It actually stopped working a few weeks ago and much as I've tried to ignore the inevitable, its time to realize that its not going to miraculously start working again. To top it all off, the last time I tried to sync my ipod something funky happened. Now half the music on my ipod won't play and I can't get the hard drive to work so that I can re-sync my ipod.

If you're not a music lover please stop reading right here. You're not gonna understand my sadness and might potentially comment and say something insensitive. I might have to kill you for doing that. Seriously, my Mom has a machete I'm sure she won't mind lending to me. Don't ask me why she has one in NY city (no major gardening going on there) but she does and its big and sharp. And I'm music obsessed enough to maim in a fit of rage. To avoid all this....go paint your fingernails or something. You can chime back in to the blog posts about random falls, sickness, bucket list items, etc...

For those of you still with me. All of the music I own (minus the two huge under the bed containers of cd's from 1992-2008 hiding under my bed) is on that hard drive. Yeah I have an old hard drive (that still works) that has a bit of music on it. The one I got as a gift from one of my BFF's has the majority of my stuff on it and that's the one that REFUSES TO LOAD. (Pics too but thats a whole other post, too much mourning for one post.)

Itunes was my drug of choice for many years. One little thing I didn't know was that you can't re-download music for free from there. WHAT?!!! I spend hard earned money on music that is just a one dl and done deal? 30 sec to dl and that's it for life? No re-do? Just know that 30 sec and a one and done deal will have you on my HATE LIST forever and a day. I mean that for EVERYTHING that applies to.

So now I'm forced to use my phone as my music player. That works when I'm mobile with my mobile (See what I did there?), but when I'm actually using my phone for its purpose, standing by the stereo all day Tweeting and texting is NOT cool(wait you thought I meant actually TALKING on the phone? Ppppshaw, I rarely do that), this renders my music player unavailable.

Music is always on at my spot. I appreciate the use of my phone but its just not functional for constant music playing. I NEED my ipod, I MISS my ipod. Right now its just functioning as a completely filled 32 gig fragile paperweight with untapped potential. So I must do what I really don't want to..... I have to wipe my ipod and start all over.

This means a few sad things:

-Wiping my itunes library clear and starting from absolute scratch.
-Starting from scratch with music I dl directly from itunes to my ipod and don't have a copy of anywhere
-Setting my ipod to "manual sync" and dragging music I have on my phone to it.
-Realizing that some of the BEST and most FAVORITE playlists I have on my ipod will be wiped and will probably never be the same
-Folks who could help me that I've gifted LOTS of music to will suddenly go into hiding cause its not "their" problem that I'm in a major music bind
-Spending a great deal of my free time RE-burning all those cd's under my bed back up to itunes.
-Losing confidence in itunes as a viable music source for the REST OF MY LIFE

Oh the sadness. *Pause here for proper SMH activities*

Typing all that out just made me sad ALL OVER AGAIN.

Lessons:

-I now use amazon mp3 store for my music purchases. At least I have a cloud player option AND a dl option. So if this little sd card on my phone ever goes gangsta on me the cloud will hopefully *crosses all fingers and toes* will always be there.

-I need to back music up on several different mediums. PITA but necessary. So a new external hard drive must be purchased, using that old clunky extra heavy one as a 2nd back up will be done. Creating even more clutter with minimal storage space means backing my music up on cd's. All of this is terribly OCD of me but yes, it is THAT serious.

-Wishing I had a loose tooth, genie in a bottle, Dorothy's magic shoes, Aladdin's magic carpet, a fairy godmother, SOMEONE who will chime in to this post and make this problem FIXABLE for me before I wipe this ipod later today.

THIS post is the ONE moment in time I wish that my blog would have a worldwide readership and some gem of a human will MAKE MY LIFE and HELP ME before I kill my ipod and bring it back to life.

I don't even know what I'd be willing to do as a thank you. Hey! I don't mean that like it may be written, oh hell, maybe I do, but mostly I don't, I think? Oh well, you get the point.

Here's hoping....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dang! Pouring a little liquor out for you sis. I feel you and I'm soooooooooooo sorry that you're stuck like this. I wish I had a solution.