Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Can Never forget....

I suppose there are those like me who remain riveted to their tv's this morning, 10 years later and still in shock at what we see. Then there are those that for whatever their reasons, have put this tragedy out of their minds.

Hate magnified to a scene that rivals any major action packed summer blockbuster... Except that there is nothing scripted, entertaining, or fake about it. People inncocently taken from the lives of their loved ones in an instant. People who suffered a death not worthy of the worst person on earth.

I remember 9-11 for many reasons. NY is my birthplace and stomping grounds for the first 17 years of my life. The sights, the sounds, the smells, the people will forever be home to me. At this point I've lived outside of NY as long as I've lived in it but its always what I claim. m

On September 11, 2001 I was sitting in a conference in SE DC. The first sign that something was wrong was a page that a fellow co-worker got that said Children's Hospital had been blown up. I don't know who or why that was the message but that began a day that with all my chemo brain, will never be forgotten.

A co-worker took me home that day and one of the things that I can remember is the eerie silence on the streets of DC, except for the fighter jets we could see and hear flying overhead. All I could think of was the drastic opposite scene that had to be happening on the streets of NY. The panic and chaos of people caught unaware and unprepared for what was playing out.

There are certain sights & sounds that always stop me in my tracks, and leave a chilling fear in my heart. The sound of the firefighter down siren playing in a movie scene on tv, the roar of a plane flying lower than I'm comfortable with overhead, papers flying through the air....

Today, 10 years later the only thing about that day that I CAN'T remember is life before terrorism became an every day word. I work either kids so young that 9-11 isn't a part of their memory. I only hope that it remains that way.

2011 was a painful time for me for more reasons than just the displaced PTSD that we all suffer from in one way or another from this fateful day. That history is for another time and another blog.

Today I choose to remember hundreds of thousands of people affected by 9-11....

- The people whose resting place was the Twin Towers, the Pentagon, & a field in PA.

-The people still living today with the physical and emotional scars of that day.

-The too many numbers of young men and women in the armed forces who have suffered and lost their lives in an inexplicable non war.

-The innocent people in other countries who have suffered and died as a result of this day.

9-11, because I can never forget....

1 comment:

Karlon Strather said...

Well written Sophia! The thing about 9-11 that makes it so palpable for all Americans is that we were all affected by it some type of way. It could be as personal as loosing a loved one or witnessing the events unfold on television from Texas several hundred miles aways.