Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Friday, October 14, 2011

Care to Salsa With Me?

Folks love to challenge me. Here I am having a great Mental Health morning, sipping Trader Joes Coffee, listening to the ipeezy and laying lazily in bed blog reading. One of my favorite blogs, Very Smart Brothas decides to interrupt my laziness with morning homework....tsk task. A challenge I can't seem to avoid.

The Quintessential "You're stranded on an island and can only take..." type blog posts. I can never resist those. Until I saw the topic... Five Albums for Eternity Seriously, who DOES THAT???!! I've got more music than most regular folk. I LIVE for music. Seriously, you don't wanna have to come see me for therapy on a day this therapist forgets her ipod at home and the internet at the job is down rending the emergency backup, Pandora, unplayable. Nothing therapeutic, warm or fuzzy is said. Come with a problem little boy, you better come with a solution too- type attitude. The fact that my external hard drive isn't working and that's where I've stored mostly all of my music has kept me up many nights. I live for payday where I (have to) limit myself to one or two purchases to make the ipod sparkle anew. Everyday I'm shufflin'.

So you want me to narrow it down to only FIVE cd's? I suppose if cancer didn't kill me I shouldn't be so dramatic about being limited to 5 hours of music for the rest of my life right? Lets try Sophie...

4 FOUR, QUATRO, hours later (I'm so serious about this) here we go:

1- FRANK OCEAN- Seriously I dare someone to tell me I can’t blend both of his mixtapes together and count it as one. Does it help if I tell you I play both ALWAYS? This man is genius. Never ever (and I’m a HUGE Anthony Hamilton fan) did I think someone would get more play and take me through so many emotions. Ugly cried through some of those songs (on repeat)…. Dance with myself through a few more….yeah its pretty obvious. MY LOVE FOR HIM KNOWS NO BOUNDS. I already accept that Imma finally get that bucket list item crossed off. You know the one where you allow yourself to be so innappropriately overwhelmed at a live concert where you faint and get dramatically carried off by the security in a stretcher as everyone watches you.... No? Only me with that bucket list item? Oh. Just oh.

2- Mama’s Gun Erykah Badu I think this is one of the most underrated albums ever, and I’m completely addicted to it. I think its her best work….marries her earlier stuff to the newer sound she’s adopted, cool "neo-soulish" Badu meets "eccentric, don’t quite get it but I can still dig it" Badu. And that’s alright with me… Besides if Marley and her singing In Love With You ain't about the sexiest song ever in life I don't know WHAT is...

3- Donnie McClurkin Live in London. Say what you want about the man (and many folks do) but his voice carried me through some very dark days. His voice is like smooth melted Nutella goodness. Thank goodness the man sings for Jesus, cause if he had a penchant for some secular classics.... wait, keep your mind on Jesus Sophie! smh A lil Jesus never hurt anyone and I’m telling you this one CD, sums my love for Christ up very well.

4- Adele- I’m REALLY struggling to decide between 19 and 21….REALLY struggling. Add her live stuff and now I’ve got an unfixable dilemma. No one (not even Mary J) makes being heartbroken sound so good. I almost wanna date a sorry negro again just so he can do me wrong and I can sing Rolling in the Deep with steel cold heartbroken angst at the top of my lungs outside his window. Not really, but you get the point. How bout I not pick one and let the monkeys listen, sing along and decide for me which one I get to keep? Either way I’ll be happy.

5- Et Les Lionceaux des Cayes- Leon Dimanche I grew up hearing this album. It perfectly defines beautiful Haitian music and always transports me right back to childhood. So many memories. I did a hunt for years for this in mp3 format and straight did a jig when I found it. I can’t live without the memories of my childhood….so I can’t live without this cd.

Choosing wasn't easy....but its DONE. (Why'd they have to say for ETERNITY though???) And I did it without scrolling through the ipod cause then it would have taken me 4 more hours trying to convince myself why something shouldn't make it on the list. Feelings of music betrayal would have certainly sent me overboard. All those jems, my Johns (Legend & Coltrane) would certainly be offended, my first Chrisette might think I actually am still holding a grudge for that last cd. Maria (as in Von Trapp) might think the soundtrack to my FAVORITE musical ever wasn't worthy, which of course it is.

Elvis might think my salsa got rusty and as my favorite Giants player Victor Cruz keeps showing us (btw ain't he about the best ever?!) ....salsa is alive and well. Keep CRUUUUUUZIN into that end zone brotha... #BigBlue (Oh wait, were you thinking Presley instead of Crespo? #shameonyou *CBreezy voice*) My new love Beyonce might think that I didn't mean it when I said I gladly lost that "I'll never play a Beyonce cd all the way through" bet by her 4 cd. Folks would really think I was sittting alone in a big white room, cause my twitter followers know I stay tweeting Jessie J lyrics.

Wait, a list without A Tribe Called Quest?! What am I thinking? Someone's gonna send me back to Cali! No Anthony...what's the point of it all? I think I'm starting to lose it. My little country boo J. Cole doesn't get to make the cut? I can't remember the time with MJ?! What is life!!

You get the point right? Please say you do cause believe me I could go ON and on. I'm home on a lazy rainy morning with not a thing to do. I've got my 30 gig ipod filled and have plenty more music that just didn't quite fit. And I love it all, I aint ashamed. Ask anyone who walks into my office while Bidi Bidi Bam Bam is playing, you not a Selena fan? #WhoMad

And now I feel like I need a nap...(And resist the urge not to list a bunch of honorable mentions here on the blog)

No comments: