Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Are My Knees Sexy Enough??

Hmmm.....it seems I can almost NEVER win for losing (the almost is the "glass half full" side of me). Original plans to attend a *potentially calorie laden* wine tasting with my home slice Ebony were foiled this morning, and itching to get out of the house, I hopped on the Metro and headed down to the zoo for a day of sightseeing and exercising.

I was so proud of myself. I could have just as easily stayed home and vegged out on the couch all day. But instead I figured I'd take advantage of a free day and be out and about....so to the zoo I go.

It was a beautiful day too. Not too hot, not too cold, no rain (is this the first day in a month we didn't get a rain shower?) I wasn't necessarily in the mood to be alone today, but since the aforementioned friend bailed on me, I got into my "nomad" mode and ventured into the zoo.

Ok so there were loads of folks there. When you're not in the mood for being alone, being in the DC Zoo on a warm weekend day just adds to the loneliness if you let it. Always the therapist though, I just imagined I was part of the fam....(albeit the chocolate one, lol) and joined a family walking along.....

Those of you who have never been to the DC Zoo, don't know that there is a massive hill in the center of the zoo. Walking uphill is a feat most people can't do with any amount of speed. I was determined to say I conquered the hill. So up it I went.
Wasn't too bad, honestly the worst was the amount of folk stopping along the way....made it hard to keep a true pace. I was happy too, I think I even made eye contact, and smiled at my "fam" a few times when they looked at me. (Probably wondering who the black chick is who was staying abnormally close to them....lol) I lost my "family" somewhere along the way, but that's ok, once my heart started pumping I was good.

Most people would have their incidents going up that hill. Nope, not me. Thumped my chest like a barbarian at the top of the hill....naw, like Zena the Warrior Princess (that's more like it). I did it! Whoohoo!

Decided after a bit of looking around, to take a leisurely stroll back down the hill....birds chirping, children laughing....it was picture perfect. I thought about maybe adding the zoo to my weekly long walk (as soon as I commit myself back to a regular exercise schedule) losing myself in the neighborhoods of College Park had lost its appeal. I had even turned off my ipod, the sounds of the people and animals were music to my ears.

It was like taking a trip on a safari, so peaceful, so at one with nature. I was smiling and walking and......

We interrupt our regularly scheduled program to bring you an important announcement. While others could complete this lovely story, with perhaps another pat on my own shoulder at the bottom of the hill, we remind the readers of this lovely blog of who this story is about......

I could not tell you what caused it. I could make something up, but what fun would that be? I could say a rogue monkey busted out of its cage and distracted me as it crossed my path. Or maybe a runaway stroller with a innocent baby was the reason. Its much more honest to just let you know that one second I was walking and the next second I was face down on my knees on the concrete. Yes, I was On. The. Ground. I think the birds were even like WTF? And by the way the lady I apparently pushed/tried to grab a hold of...on my way to the ground, DID NOT even help me up. She just looked down at me and then walked off saying "I know she didn't just push me!" Really? Was the lady trying to start a fight or something? I needed a bird to land one on her for that.

I'm not embarrassed really.....If I could survive a fall off the elliptical (do a blog search for that story) in front of a gym full of hot men, then a fall at the zoo doesn't ruffle my feathers much. Although the squirrel two feet away from me looked like he was snickering, I swear it just stopped and watched me. I sat on the floor for a while....laughing. That's when folks started laughing too. hmph! just like family to laugh....lol

The one annoying thing was my darned FAVORITE "hope I see some eye candy while I'm exercising" sweat pants are now torn at the knee! Darn it, wonder if I can still rock them, kinda like the ripped jeans look, only its ripped sweats...are my knees sexy enough for that?

2 comments:

Karlon Strather said...

The pains of physical fitness..literally..lol

Tha Management said...

LoL ... ooo girl! Since I've been to the zoo too many times, I could see you falling and picture it like movie! You know I'm a fool so I'd be rocking my rip though!

Good story :)