Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

My Scale has Lost its Smile

Okay somewhere along the way I managed to miss the glorious half way mark. My total weight loss goals are 71 lbs and so far (my next weigh in isn't until Monday so I can't count anything I saw on my scale this morning) I've lost 48.5. Half way was about 36 pounds. Don't know how I missed it. You would think with a number as large as 71 lbs, I would have been beating a drum towards that 36. Was worth something good too, maybe a spa visit or something but nonetheless I missed it and I DARE NOT GO BACK!

Anywho, life has changed a bit. I'm no longer climbing the hill, I'm "supposedly" sliding back down. 23 lbs to go. Doesn't seem like much when I've already done almost 49, but its like watching water boil. Weight loss, for those of you who don't know, starts to slow down as you get closer and closer towards your goals. Suddenly the 2-3 lb loss each week slow down to .5-1lb per week. WW says anything between .5-2lbs is normal per week. I used to think it was ok, but now that I'm part of the .5 club, my patience is not so great. I mean really imagine sweating it out 5 days per week (really 7 since I do some form of something every day) eating right, saying no to all the delicious looking unhealthy foods, etc each week. The thing that keep me going is looking at my wonderful scale each Monday morning waiting for a new number to shine at me. (or 2 or 3 new numbers since my scale is kinda neurotic). Those new numbers make my avoiding unhealthy at all costs mentality worth it. I love to see my scale smile.

Well, my scale is not smiling anymore. Each week is more like a smirk, a new number by technical means, but to a person like, its more like the old number from last week with a .5 added to it. Either XXX.5 or XXX (minus the .5 that was there last week).

I know what you're going to say, any number in the negative is worth the struggle. I know I should believe that, but hey, I was born into a society that teaches us to see results. .5 of a loss is a worrisome feeling. Did I really lost 1/2 a pound or is it that my bladder is just a bit more empty this week than when I weighed in last week. LOL I DO THINK THESE THINGS!

No need to worry, just a little lamenting on my part. I know enough to know the healthy state I'm gradually bringing my body into is 100X more important than the number on the scale. Or the number in the tag of my clothing.

No comments: