Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Take that, Marion Jones!

Ok so as we stand I'm 42.5 lbs. down. Even better I've dropped at least 2 dress sizes, probably more, haven't really explored all that yet. I think my mind is playing tricks on me, I still don't see the difference. Everyone else does though so I guess I'll have to take their word for it.

Anywho....on to talk about my newest physical fitness exploit.....running.

Who told me I could be a runner? Obviously not common sense, because for some reason I've
gotten it into my thick skull that I need to become a runner. Nevermind the fact that I was never a runner, even when I was small. I've decided that I want to be able to run. No good reason mind you, I'm not training for a marathon or anything like that. Not trying to rob a bank either. Just thought that as part of my "get skinny" quest, I thought I'd add running to the mix. Just thought that running should be good, I can join all those lean folks running up and down the Mall, or on the walking paths. Even did some research online for some good running sneakers. Figured I'd treat myself once I lost a bit more weight.

Now for all you enjoying my Pilates/ Elliptical blog comments, fear not! I haven't totally abandoned them. I just like variety in my workouts. Much as I love aerobics tapes, I get bored pretty quickly. Something about staring at the way skinnier than me workout leaders on those tapes everyday have a tendency to make a sister want to get angry. I think it would have worked better for me to see people on the tapes who are out of shape, plugging away with me. Right now I'm the fattest, most out of shape person doing it in my apartment, and between the reflections of skinny on the tv, and the reflection of my gut from the full length mirror in my apartment, I'm not feeling the love while I work out. I guess I could refrain from having my gut exposed when I work out, but ah! that's the beauty of working out in the privacy of your own home. No one to notice the real deal (you know what I'm talking about- the flopping, shaking, swishing around extra luscious..............ok I'm grossing myself out!). Just a sports bra, some shorts and sneakers. No laughing in my mind, its a svelte body staring back at me from the mirror.

Anywho getting back on topic, I've decided to mix up my routine even further by adding the running to my walking. Now mind you, I haven't mastered speed walking, I like to call mine, walking a bit faster than shopping walk but not as much to have me pass out. I'm up to 4 miles though so that's great. One day while on the treadmill I figured out I could get further on the distance chart if I added a bit of running. So running in intervals was my plan. First time out was about 15 minutes into my walking. OK, manuvering changing the speed of the treadmill, while increasing my speed to running did not go so hot. No I will not type it out, you know what happened. One can still have their pride in tack even when falling off the treadmill. (Why does my first venture on machine equipment always have me falling).

Anyway as I began running again I looked over and noticed the girl next to me running effortlessly. Couldn't be that difficult right? So I upped my speed again to match hers.
I'm not sure where the pain started first, my lungs, my legs, my boobs (from not having on a big girls running bra), my pride. Either way things were going downhill fast. The girl next to me was running fast! I'm learning quickly I can't run fast! What do I do? I can't stop. She gave me the smile of comraderie when I upped the speed. You know the look, the "oh she's a workout guru just like me" look. I can't let her down, she looked so happy to have a running friend. I can do it I can do it, OH God my chest feels like its about to explode...............I've got to stop. Well maybe I'll do intervals and run a few and walk a few. I'll slow my pace now surely I've hit at least 2 or 3 minutes of running. Glanced down and noticed the interval time.................34 seconds?!

Ok so my first time running was not successful. Being the wonder woman that I am though (read my Pilates and Elliptical blogs for my fantastic fitness biography) I would not be a quitter. After picking up my jaw from the shock, I kept right on plugging. I didn't look over at the other girl though, I'm sure she wouldnt' be giving me the "running buddy" look. I stared straight ahead and kept up my walking pace. 5 minutes later I upped my speed to running again, but this time I put it at a pace I could keep up with, somewhere along the lines of move my self faster than my "speed" walking, but less that the running that most normal people do. But guess what, I lasted the whole 2 minutes. And I did that again every 5 minutes for the next 30. Thus I call it success.
I had a good laugh about my first run experience. Nevermind the embarrassment, the first thing I thought was "See that's why black folks don't really run" Not unless you're that robot chick Marian Jones who defies gravity with her running. Then again she's a sprint runner, she only deals with running short distances, so yeah maybe I can take her on. After all it takes her about 10 seconds to run most of her sprints. She gets awards, money, fame, fitness etc for that feat. I lasted 34 seconds on my very first try. So when you compare her 10 (never mind she's moving at the speed of light, usually on an Olympic field, at least 50 yards) to my 34 (on the treadmill at the gym, probably not lasting more that .01 in distance) I still say I'd gone beyond Marion's abilities on my first Olympic Treadmill try!

Take that Marion!

No comments: