Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

When Life Hands you Lemons.....or Strawberries

Let me start off by saying that this isn't one of those depressing blogs. Well not if you really read it all the way though.....so you can put away the Kleenex, I'm in a peaceful mood.

I'm sitting here thinking and planning on how my day could go. I could be responsible, fold the laundry and clean like I should. The other option is to take advantage of the gloomy day and make it a lazy movie day. First on tap is the Blind Side. (Note: definitely a feel good tear jerker if you're really in that kind of mood).

Its days like this that have me thinking about things. I'd like to think I move evenly between the glass half empty, glass half full kinda mentality. What often gets me is the 'things you can't control' events of my life. What do you do when you wake up about 10 days from a milestone birthday trying to figure out why and how life ended up like this?

Again don't get me wrong I'm not depressed. Just pondering. Life hasn't turned out at all like I had expected it to. Not at all....well no I'm lying. I am alive so that's one thing I've gotten right. Other than that you could have bought me for a plumb penny (shout-out to my Southern folk teaching me all the cool country slang) if you would have told me at age 12 that I'd be here today. Not blaming anyone at all, some things were in my control and I'm not gonna be one to pass that buck.

Its the luck, divine path, or whatever you call those incidents/pieces of life that drop into your life and define which way the yellow brick road turns. Those are the things that stump me the most. I'd love to hear from those folk who absolutely don't mind the craziness of life and can do it with a smile. Me, I'm learning how to pour that glass of water to the right level.....for me.

Right now honestly sometimes I'm caught with my mouth hanging open at some of the stuff that happens to me. Just saying but sometimes I try not to think about my life path cause most times the phrase WTF?! is all I can think. And that's for the good AND the bad stuff. Be real, if you think about it, you'd want to tweak quite a few things to shift your life's current path and worry about the consequences later. I know the scripture, in the end all things will make sense, but excuse me if I'd like a little "makes sense" of my life right now. Most times good heartfelt laughter is the best thing I can do.....when you fall as many times as I have, a sense of humor is probably the best gift God gave me. Come to think of it, laughter gets me through lots of stuff, who else can be perched almost upside down on a sonogram table at the age of 25 with cancer looming in the wings....and all I could think of is how to style the bangs I'd have to cut to hide the huge knot on my forehead if I fell off the table.

Folks love to question what's not "normal" to them....but who defines normal? I don't mind the questions, I mind the reasons for the questions, its cathartic to answer and it helps me makes sense of things. My life is a testimony to people to be comfortable in their own skin. So yup, I'm a little different for a whole lotta reasons. Its those experiences you didn't choose that define you the most. I didn't chose my life's experiences but over and over I have chosen to live. "Some people wonder where my secret lies..." If you want to question it, do me a favor, walk in my shoes for one whole day. I guarantee you'd give them back.....my shoes are either too big or too pretty for you....lol.


I'm trying and I'm learning. To turn the other cheek to the people who question not for curiosity but for negativity. I'm coming to realize something about my peaceful existence rattles some people to the core, the people who make up stuff to come harass me about. Shout-out to the crazy haters (waving with one finger, you guess which one). Back to the learning process....I'm learning that I wake up everyday in spite of. In spite of the fact that life consistently does exactly the opposite of what I expected it to. I'm learning to accept my niceness and the good AND the bad that comes along with that. I'm learning that life is good, in spite of. I'm learning that I'm probably exactly where I'm supposed to be even though I don't know how or why.

I actually like being eccentric. Some things about me absolutely take the words out of folks mouths. C'mon folks, can't you think outside the box just a little? Shouldn't everyone's life be like that? Shouldn't you be living a life that folks wanna question, because what you do and endure is so unique to you that you become the living example of what the human individuality of existence should be like?

So the next time you want to question me about why something about me isn't the same as something about you, ask away, I really want you to. But please be sure you really know why you wanna ask. I'd hate to add you to that one finger wave recipient crew.....

Huge high five to ERYKAH BADU'S WINDOW SEAT! Amidst all the controversy about the video....quiet as its kept you know you ALL wish you had the guts to do what she did...the message was perfect!

1 comment:

Karlon Strather said...

"One finger waive recipent crew"...nice. You are discovering a freedom that most people may never find. The freedom of being comfortable in your own skin. Just like you, I question why certain things (good and bad) happen in my life, but ulitmately I'm praying that God will help me make sense of it all. Good stuff