Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Monday, September 7, 2009

A Prom Dress and Emergency Panties....

Just so you know, I had EVERY intention of laying around being a bum today, this last day of my holiday weekend. But I felt guilty (just a little) so....

So I'm blogging after JUST being let back into my apartment. Only been sitting outside for 45 minutes or so waiting for the emergency on call maintenance man to put his Labor day hotdog down long enough to go get my spare keys and let me in. Sitting outside in my favorite around the house (meaning ultra worn out and beat up) teeshirt, teal blue too small sweat capris (I guess if I think about the fact that I was advertising for OvCA month I won't feel as bad), and my locs in Little House in the Prairie plats. Yeah I was washing my hair and figured instead of the hour long retwisting process, I'd just braids them up and hope they dry (and crimp) by tomorrow. Yeah I looked like a bum, but who needs to be cute when all I planned to do was dash up and down my stairs a few times....

So how'd I get there.....

Remember me, this morning wanting to be a cute bum lounging on my couch? Yeah well I got the bright idea to do 4 loads of laundry, start the week off right. First two loads went in, no problem, the only annoying fact, is that my washer and dryer is down in the creepy deserted basement of my apt building. Put the first two loads in the dryer then put two more loads in the washer. Waited a while then went down to take out the loads in the dryer......hmmmm still mostly wet. No major, sometimes these ghetto dryers don't work well, I'll just put them in a bag and air dry the rest right?? Went to the washer and low and behold there are my clothes floating in water.....wth?? Is the power off? Nope everything is on down there including the bright lights. Try as I might the washers would not come back on, even after putting precious quarters in it, AGAIN! Only thing left to do is pull all those clothes out, wring them out and drag them upstairs to air dry (I guess.....do soaked clothes mildew???)

Ok so carrying the first wet loads up 3 flights of stairs, I realized something....MY DAMN KEYS ARE IN MY APT AND I'M NOT. You have got to be kidding me right? There's no way in the world I locked myself out ON TOP of having 4 loads of wet laundry to deal with...fml completely I say. Thankfully my Sophieberry goes with me everywhere I go so I at least had my cell to call the rental office....darn it, its a holiday, they're closed! I left a message for the on call maintenance person and prayed they hadn't loosened the belt of their jeans at the cookout they probably were at cause then I'd be short, for real...

45 minutes sitting on the steps of my apt building sweating cause I'm pissed. Really did I kick a small child or something? Praying this isn't the day some lone sexy bachelor doesn't come in or out of their apt and see me in all my ghetto glory sitting on the steps. Cause that of course would typically be my luck. Somehow I'm surprised that didn't happen.

Just when I thought that my maintenance guy truly was busting into his third hot dog and I was bound to be sleeping on the steps outside my apt for the night, he appeared. I almost kissed him. No really, I almost did. Right smack on the lips, he mighta gotten it right there on the steps of building 4214, no rather he had the keys, we could have made nice on the mattress (cause of course the sheets are soaking wet in the washer) in my apt. Now that's the sex escapade I would have remembered for life. Unfortunately (for him?) he didn't have the magic key that would make the washers and dryers start (said some foolishness about me having to call the company tomorrow or something) working again so after he let me in, sent him off sans sampling my goodies.

Ok so 4 trips up and down 3 flights of stairs carrying up soaking wet laundry and suffice to say (after I collapsed in a wet heap on the floor of my apt for 15 minutes recuperating) I've kicked my "get back into shape" quest into high gear. I WILL LOG those minutes into my spark people fitness logger tonight! I dare you to tell me that was not high intensity cardio!

So now my clothes have been thrown in the bathtub, and there they will stay for a while. I was not born in a remote village where they washed by hand on the regular. I am not knocking, just know that my arms are strong enough for putting quarters in the machine, that's it. Right now all those skills my Mom tried to teach me are haunting me.

So for the last few hours of my holiday day off they will sit. Until I can cool down. Or until tomorrow morning when I take a shower for work. Of course now I'm wondering what I will wear tomorrow. All my good work clothes (real meaning: clothes that fit) are swimming in the bathtub. No chance they'll go from soaking wet, to dry by tomorrow morning. Hmmmm what's left... I guess its a prom dress and my emergency panties for work tomorrow....no one better ask me why I'm dressed that way.....Happy darn Labor Day....way too much darn laboring for me today, way more than I originally intended....I should have celebrated on the couch...now instead, I'm celebrating by pouring a glass of wine or two and putting pins in what's left of the elastic on my emergency panties....smh....

2 comments:

QueenBee said...

Girlfriend, this title of this post should be ready for print in somebody's book. This was so freaking hilarious. I don't even want to imagine. Where are the spare keys when you need them?

Kia Taylor said...

So funny!!!