Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Friday, June 27, 2008

Grace......Stop and Stare


So I got my new tattoo today.

I do have one thing to say......getting a tattoo hurts! There, I've said it. So if anyone ever lies to you, cause that's what they're doing when they say "it doesn't really hurt" hit them. HIT THEM. Do it. Cause as you're sitting there getting your tattoo done that's all you'll think of. HITTING THEM. Might as well do it before you're nursing whatever spot on your body you'll be nursing while you heal.

Now don't get me wrong. I LOVE MY TATTOO. I wouldn't change it for the world. Its the perfect size and says exactly what's been on my heart for years. I'm 33 years old, so no need to worry that I got something I'll regret in 10 years. Hey, I say do you, but I had no burning desire to suffer through the regret of a kitten on my thigh on my wedding night.

Some people ask (ok many people are asking) why I waited so long to get one. Well its simple really. Really had no other reason to get one before. You know I'm deep right? I just was never one of those who just had to run out and get one. Must of been the low self esteem of yester year cause I wasn't showing off body parts all that often. But as I thought of my cancer experience, I wanted something that would resonate with me forever. Much as I hated the experience, I don't ever want to forget it. Kinda weird I know. Most people have a horrible experience and do their best to forget it. Me, I prefer to remind myself of where I've been and spend my life praying daily to never go back.

Lots of questions about what it means.
-The flower is the iris, the symbol for gynecologlical cancers.
-The word grace, describes my neverending thanks to God for allowing me to endure the experience, and continuing to endure the effects.
-The ribbon is the teal ribbon for Ovarian cancer.
-The tattoo is my shout to the world about its meaning.....I want women to stop and stare, and hopefully be more vigilant about their bodies. I want men to stop and stare and learn that there are young women out there like me who have their heads held high for reasons other than what you think. I want God to stop and stare and be proud of the young daughter He put on this earth to endure this walk, and even without understanding yet why I had to go through it, I don't mind relying on him for eventual revelation.

No comments: