Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Passing of my Most Prized Possession

From an email I sent out this past week:

This is what I get for trying to be good and exericise. Darn! Decided to forego the ride home from work today, just to enjoy a walk home since it was nice weather. I also wanted to get some exercise in. Of course you know how my luck works. I decided to take the loooooooooong way home too, so I could really get a workout. With my Ipod in tow, I braved the hills and long walk almost home. Tune in 30 or so minutes later......... So of course a few blocks from home I reached down and realized my phone was not on my hip. In a panic I walk ALL THE WAY back to work. (the long way again, just to retrace my steps). 2 blocks from work I saw my phone laying on the side of street on South Dakota Avenue. Torn to shreds! I realized that my harrowing dash across South Dakota (which I must do every time I try to cross there, cause maniacs drive up and down that road) caused me to have my poor little phone fall out of the clip and be torn to smitherines run over by every car on South Dakota, finally kicked in a heap over to the side of the street to wither and die. (darn PG Plaza cheap clip). Ok so I brought my used to be perfect with no scratches, phone home. Of course its not even thinking about working. So in the meantime until my replacement phone comes in on Thursday, I can be reached by landline 301-xxx-xxxx or office phone 202-xxx-xxxx if I'm needed. Or by email of course. Last time I decide to take the long way home an exercise on my supposed off day!Sophia P.S. Stop laughing at me. I'm really traumatized!

Apparently this email was a great source of amusement for my loved ones. I got the "you're hilarious", "that was the best laugh of my life", "I couldn't sit up I was laughing so hard" comments back all week. Really?? me suffering from the loss of my cell was funny......you people really need to get out more. LOL, just kidding!

I took a hiatus from exercise for a few days this week (to mourn of course). My new replacement baby came in late in the week, and so exercise was re-established. (With Herbert Francoise Esquier nestled safely in its pouch of course)

I was feeling guilty for not sticking to my workout routine (although the mourning period was necessary) and decided to kick it up a notch. Have you ever set yourself up to exercise hard, and then regretted it halfway through, when you realize you might not make it. Yeah well that happened to me today. Instead of doing my walk where I map things out carefully to end up back home in exactly one hour, I decided to "let the beautiful sunny day be my guide".
Yeah..........................60 minutes into it I realized my "sunny day guide" was trying to make me make up for those missed days cause I was only HALFWAY back home! Those of you who live in DC, lets just say I walked the majority of Route 1/Rhode Island Ave today. And it was NOT fun. The dial a friend kinda not fun, cause I felt every step of that walk. I must remind myself to never take a watch with me again cause glancing at the time every 5 minutes wasn't helping. I pressed on with the knowledge that it had better be a 10 point day for me in the exercise dept. And also I had no other way to get home than to walk. (Although the thought of hitchhiking did cross my mind several times)

I'm in pain....great pain....the kind of pain one gets when you work out for the first time. Only its not my first time, I've been walking for a year darnit! I should be a pro at this, I should have been able to walk that 4.5 miles and then come home and carry on with my day. Instead I've been limping around all night cursing. (ok maybe not cursing, that's not ladylike) I've definitely built a cocoon around my couch with all my necessities. If only the bathroom could be a bit closer.

I fear I may never walk again.

Ok so I'm being dramatic. But I certainly won't walk again.....until I've garnered the strength again, until I feel I've rebuilt my resolve to brave the mean street of DC. Until I......oh who am I fooling, I'll probably be back out there tomorrow. With a map of course!.

No comments: