Earthquake in Haiti. You can help.

Monday, November 12, 2007

On My way to killing 2 demons!

So its here. Its taken me 2 months to talk about it, since writing it would acknowledge that its here. But maybe writing will be cathartic, will be the open vessel to change.....................THE DREADED PLATEAU!

For those of you who know nothing about weight loss (or for those lucky folks who are "naturally" thin) the plateau is one of the things that most weight loss gurus dread, probably, or at least in my case hate more than steady weight gain. In simple terms its when your weight loss stalls. You can be working out, eating right, all that good stuff, but each week when you step on the scale, you wonder if your scale is broken, because it refuses to move. Or in my case it moves between the same 3 pounds up and down and back again each week. Now to be fair, I have indulged a bit more in the past 2 months, not quite as strict as when I started this thing.
Maybe that it. Maybe I'm one of those folks who will have to spend their lives carefully, methodically, anally counting calories. I have to admit I have relaxed a bit, and gotten into a routine of exercising. Those may be the 2 things that lead me to this point, but then again maybe its just my bodies way of letting me know I'm getting close to my goal. Its hard though to admit, that I may be getting close to my goal weight. After all after almost a year of watching my scale give me smaller and smaller numbers each week, I'm used to it. Its been part of my life, -1, -2, -.5 just minus something. But now since September I've been stuck on the same range.

Folks that don't watch their weight give me crazy (sometimes mean cause they may be jealous that I've lost a significant amount) looks like "OK Nubiancooki, your a shell of your former self and you're worried about 3 pounds!" But really, I'm not going crazy. Working out and eating right has made me very in tune to my body. I know a lot more about how my body works and I enjoy having this kind of control. Knowing that something I'm doing is keeping me healthy is important to me. Once you start working and seeing changes in your body, one thing becomes clear...........your problem areas.

Of course mine would be my stomach. And muscle building. Those are the two I'm tackling now and I'm learning that my body does not do what I want it to right away. My stomach is diminishing but it sure is taking its sweet time. For me its more obvious. Being smaller means my gut shows more and I dont' have a double chin, huge shoulders or a big booty to camaflouge it. So every morning I wake up and thank God for another day, do some morning exercise, take a shower and then get dressed, there it is to psychologically derail me. I won't lament too long on it, but just know its a demon I'm determined to kill come hell or high water.

Another area has been muscle building. I'm apparently not one of those people who builds muscle easily. What I'm exploring now is whether I'm not getting enough protein, which helps to build muscle. Can't say I'm an official vegetarian again, but really, even getting in fish on a regular basis has been difficult. I'm scared, petrified of all the research/news on pesticides, hormones etc. So for me unless its wild caught fish, I'm not eating it. Its been weird, even tasting fish has been awkward for me so I've been avoiding it. Which leaves beans, cottage cheese (which I love) etc for protein, but I'm not sure that I'm getting it in the right amounts. Stay tuned for that, that's my other mission. I refuse to believe that my body won't build it, but then again the highest weights I work out with are 10 lbs which may be it (stop laughing, after a couple of reps I'm sweating bullets with those things!) Anyone know of a good at home strengths training DVD?

Well I'm coming up on one year of weight loss. December 11th to be exact. So you know Dex 11th I'll be blogging a deep lessons learned, life changing lesson for you all, YEAH RIGHT! See ya then.

No comments: